Fort Decatur was a United States Army Blockhouse, located around Beach 137th Street, the first fort on the peninsula. During The War of 1812, the cannon was moved into position atop of the fort. Beach 137th Street was approximately the western tip of the peninsula at the time. This protected the New York Harbor from any invaders, particularly the British. The fort was dismantled after the war ended (1815).
Katie Lucev is the daughter of the late Rockaway Beach historian, Emil R. Lucev Sr. (1933-2018).BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS