St. Malachy’s was founded in 1873 in Brooklyn, New York. The orphanage was moved to Rockaway Park in 1895. The homeless children were moved to the Rockaway Park building in 1898.
St. Malachy’s was located on Beach 112th Street, and it was still in use until St. John’s Home for Boys opened on 111th Street.
The children were moved out of the St. Malachy’s building to St. John's Home sometime in the early to mid-1940s.
The now-closed Stella Maris High School (est. in 1943) sits on the old St. Malachy’s location.
Katie Lucev is the daughter of the late Rockaway Beach Historian, Emil R. Lucev, Sr. (1933-2018)BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS