- One 4 to 5 pound brisket
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1 can jellied cranberries
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/8 cup water, if needed
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (this is optional, we like things on the sweeter side)
- 5 to 6 carrots, peeled and kept whole
- 1 small onion sliced (optional)
- Gravy Thickener:
- 1/8 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Rinse the brisket in cold water, place in pan along with the carrots. (I use the large, deep aluminum pans. I just throw them away when I’m done)
- In a glass bowl, mix the soup mix, cranberries, and beef broth. You can taste and see if you want to add the sugar.
- Pour mixture over the brisket, lay the carrots on both sides and onion if using and cover tightly with tin foil and bake for about two hours.
- Take out and mix the sauce around and over the brisket. If the liquid is not thick like gravy, add the cold water and whisk in the cornstarch. Pour around the liquid in the pan and whisk it in so you don’t see white from the cornstarch.
- Place back in the oven for another 15 minutes until the liquid boils.
- Take out of the oven, uncover and let the brisket sit about 10 minutes. It should look like it’s going to fall apart. Slice up and serve with potatoes or rice.