I made this for Passover this year. It came out great!
- 1 sweet onion, sliced and cut into rings
- 4 lamb shanks, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 10 whole garlic cloves
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and cut in half (if very large, cut in quarters)
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup strong beef broth (double strength)
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 dried teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 small bay leaf, broken in half
Spread onions separately on the bottom of the slow cooker.
Rub the lamb shanks with the Worcestershire sauce, then sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
In a heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Brown the lamb shanks. Once done, add the lamb shanks to the slow cooker, together with any browned bits from the skillet and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Put garlic and mushrooms all over the lamb shanks.BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS