- 1 chicken, cut into quarters
- 1 package of soup greens. If you can’t find them pre-packaged I use this:
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, cut in half crosswise
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 small parsnips, peeled and cut in half
- 2 small turnips, peeled and cut in half
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 cup fresh dill
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh thyme
Season chicken well with salt, pepper. Put in pot. Cover with cold water. Add all the diced vegetables, together with the dill, parsley and thyme. Cook on medium heat. Add 1 can low sodium chicken broth. Let cook until meat is ready to come off the bones. Remove chicken to cool. Continue simmering the broth. (save chicken for another dish or shred and add it back to the broth)
Matzo Balls (Serves: 16)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of oil (I used grape seed)
- ½ cup water or club soda (I used seltzer)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
Beat eggs, oil, water or soda, salt and pepper. Stir in matzo meal and parsley
Refrigerate for at least one hour.
Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt.
Wet hands and form mixture into 16 balls.
Drop in boiling water. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Drain and serve.
By Sharon Feldman
BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS