The Knights are turning 90 this month.
Msgr. William F. Burke Rockaway Council #2672 Knights of Columbus will celebrate its 90th anniversary serving the Rockaway community on Saturday, April 14. Mass will be celebrated by the Council's chaplain, Father James Devine at 5 p.m. at St. Rose of Lima. After Mass, the members, Columbiettes and guests will march back to the Council for a gala dinner and entertainment.
Through the efforts of Rev. Joseph Curran of St. Camillus Church, the council was originally chartered on April 10, 1928 as Saint Camillus Council. In 1955, the name was changed to Rockaway Council to encompass all the churches on the peninsula. On May 5, 1992, in honor of Msgr. Burke who had served as the council’s chaplain for 57 years, the council was renamed Msgr. William F. Burke-Rockaway Council.
In 1933, the ladies’ auxiliary, known as the Columbiettes was organized. Throughout the years, they have worked side by side with the Knights and continue to do so today. They remain an integral part of the organization.
The Council has had many homes over the years, starting in 1928 at the Quonset Hut on Beach 113th Street and the boardwalk, various church facilities and other organizations' venues. In 1958, the members broke ground at the present location, (333 Beach 90th Street,) and through the combined efforts of many members, who did the work: carpentry to plumbing to masonry, the building was completed and subsequently dedicated on October 25, 1958.
From the day of its founding in 1928, Rockaway Council Knights of Columbus remains one of the most active councils in New York State. Their 750 members continue to support the local churches, seminarians, youth activities and special Olympians. In recognition and appreciation to our veterans, the council has established a firm and mutually rewarding partnership and home, to the Daniel M. O’Connell Post 272 American Legion. They provide support to our police department and the 100th Precinct Community Council.
Prior to and after Superstorm Sandy, the council has opened its doors and hearts to all organizations, and civic groups for meetings and other special events.
The Knights of Columbus is the world’s largest Catholic Fraternal Organization with 1,918,122 members located throughout the world. Founded by Father Michael J. McGivney in New Haven, CT in 1882 to serve as a mutual benefit society to working class immigrants, it has developed into a fraternal benefit society dedicated to charitable causes. The virtues of the order are Charity, Unity and Fraternity, which the Knights practice in all that they do.
Congratulations on 90 years and here’s to many more!BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS