SFDS 2nd Grade Boys Soccer Recap


The St. Francis de Sales second- grade boys had another double dose of soccer games last weekend. The team was looking to get back on the winning side of things after losing their last game, but unfortunately came up short by losing one game and playing to a draw in their second match.

The first game of the weekend was on Saturday, September 22 against a tough St. Patrick’s squad at their home field on the Ft. Hamilton Army Base. The Army would have been proud of the fact that the defense was paramount in this game, as the teams seemed to play most of the game in the midfield area with few scoring chances for either team. First-half goalie, William Kelly, was strong in the net, allowing only one goal from the opposition while stopping numerous shots on goal and creating breakouts for the SFDS team with his long throw outs to his teammates. Players such as Rafael Campos-Gatjens, Henry Borgstede and Tommy Aiken played a dominant first half and controlled the middle of the field with their stout play.

The second half got off to a hot start as St. Francis quickly got on the board with a good-looking drive and goal by Brendan Hayden, who scored his first goal of the season. St. Patrick’s ultimately took a 2-1 lead and was able to keep the boys from SFDS off the scoreboard for the remainder of the game despite the great play by Paul and Michael Pedone, Owen Shaffer and Dylan Frontera. As usual for this team, there was no giving up and the game ended with lots of action in front of the St. Pat’s net. You had the feeling that had there been a minute or two more on the clock, this game would have turned out differently. The loss dropped the teams record to 2-2 for the season.

Classroom and neighborhood bragging rights were on the line in Sunday’s matchup against the boys from Blessed Trinity and the game certainly didn’t disappoint. The rainy weather seemed to only add to the drama as the pregame handshakes and chatting between these familiar foes ceased once the game started.

The St. Francis team fell behind 1-0 early in the first half on a nice goal from Blessed Trinity’s Liam Grace. Falling behind early in games seems to be the MO for the SFDS team, as well as quickly scoring to even things up and this game was no different. James Moriarty scored his third goal of the season and tied the game at 1-1 by booting a free kick over the heads of the Blessed Trinity players and their goalie, Matt Spylopulos, who played an extraordinary first half in goal. Johnny O’Brien put Blessed Trinity ahead 2-1 on a free kick of his own that managed to sneak through the St. Francis line of defenders to put them up by a score of 2-1.

The action was nonstop in the second half as the boys from SFDS narrowly missed several chances to tie the game up. Luke Hernandez, John Petrie and Patrick McCrory-Twomey all played amazingly well and their play kept St. Francis in the game as Trinity mounted several attacks on net, only to come up empty handed. The player most responsible for keeping this game close was St. Francis’ goalie, JW Youngberg. JW made several remarkable saves in net and was celebrated after the game by being picked up in the air by several of his teammates as all the boys (and their fans) cheered him on. He certainly deserved it! Wonderful defensive play by Cormac Powers, Greg Brenna and Matthew Miller also helped keep Blessed Trinity from scoring. Fortunately for St. Francis, they were able to tie the score up late in the game and the match ended in a 2-2 draw thanks to the stellar goalie play of Blessed Trinity’s Nick Fede. Bragging rights for this season will have to be put on hold until these teams meet up again next month.