Fire Claims Life of Rockaway Beach Resident

NEWS
Typography

On Monday, November 5, a fire broke out on the second floor of a two-story home at 173 Beach 95th Street. Firefighters worked quickly to get the fire under control, but the incident ended in tragedy as 47-year-old Dawn Greig and her German Shepherd, both died.

Firefighters responded to a call received shortly before 8 a.m. Engine 266 and Ladder 137 were first on the scene of 60 firefighters that were sent to battle the fast-moving blaze. However when firefighters extinguished the flames and were able to get inside the building, they found Greig unconscious on the second floor. Greig was quickly transported to St. John’s Episcopal Hospital, where she died.  Three firefighters were also taken to the hospital with minor injuries. Greig’s dog, Champ, an 8-year-old German Shepherd, died in the fire, according to a report for the New York Daily News.

The incident is still under investigation, but according to the Daily News report, a space heater may have been to blame on the chilly morning. Greig, whose building has had heat issues since Hurricane Sandy, asked her sister, Denise Greig, if she could borrow a space heater. Denise told the News that the space heater was found severely melted and may have been a factor in starting the fire.

Denise said Dawn Greig, a daycare worker, was an easygoing person with a good sense of humor. She will be missed.

Following the fire, the FDNY Fire Safety Education Unit was in the area, stationed at the shopping center at 8807 Rockaway Beach Blvd., to provide fire safety information to neighbors. As Sunday, November 4 marked the end of Daylight Savings Time, people are reminded around this time to check on their smoke detectors and replace the batteries. For more safety tips, head to www.FDNYsmart.org.

 

BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS
Sign up via our free email subscription service to receive notifications when new information is available.