- The Gretzky brothers hold the NHL record for most combined points by two brothers, 2,861. Wayne got 2,857 of those points and Brent tallied up 4.
- The verb, "boycott," was named after Charles Boycott, a 19th century English land agent so hated, that his local community wanted nothing to do with him.
- There are over 20,000 species of edible plants in the world, yet fewer than 20 species contribute to 90 percent of our food.
- When President Harry Truman's eight-year term ended on January 20, 1953, he took the train home to Independence, Missouri, talking with other citizens along the way. He had no secret service protection and his only income was an Army pension.
- The city of Des Moines, Iowa rejected plans for a pedestrian bridge in 1998 because it was "too modern." In reality, the "modern" design was based on plans made by Leonardo da Vinci in 1504.
- Reflecting on his youth, Pablo Picasso once said, "When I was a child, my mother said to me, 'If you become a soldier, you'll be a general. If you become a monk, you'll end up as the Pope.' Instead, I became a painter and wound up as Picasso."
- The ten oldest people to ever live were all women.
- Forrest Mars, the creator of Peanut M&M's, was allergic to peanuts.
Facts from Sean McVeigh, factologistBLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS