- Lt. Col. "mad" Jack Churchill was the only British soldier in WWII known to have killed an enemy soldier with a longbow. "Mad Jack" insisted on going into battle armed with both a medieval bow and a claymore sword.
- During WWII, the crew of the British submarine HMS Trident kept a fully-grown reindeer called Pollyanna aboard their vessel for six weeks. (It was a gift from the Russians.)
- There's an opera house on the United States - Canada border where the stage is in one country and half the audience is in another.
- The tiny parasite Toxoplasma Gondii can only breed sexually when in the guts of a cat. To this end, when it infects rats, it changes their behavior to make them less scared of cats.
- Light does not necessarily travel at the speed of light. The slowest ever recorded light was moving at 38 mph.
- The name Murphy has ties in both Ireland and Norway/Sweden. It is believed that the name comes from an old word that essentially meant "Sea Warrior."
- The Dutch village of Giethoorn has no roads. Its buildings are connected entirely by canals and footbridges.
Facts from Sean McVeigh, factologist.
BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS