- Virginia was founded in 1607, when Shakespeare was still alive.
- After being shot during a duel, Andrew Jackson lived with a bullet next to his heart for 39 years.
- The Ancient Romans and the Ancient Chinese knew about each other and actually communicated semi-regularly.
- The last American Civil War widow's pension was paid in 2003.
- Alexander the Great defeated Darius II of the Persian Empire, the largest empire in the world at the time, by meeting them in the field in open combat. He did it twice. In the first battle he was outnumbered 7 to 1. In the second battle he was outnumbered 10 to 1.
- Pluto was discovered 90 years ago, in 1930. It has an orbital period of 248 years. Pluto has actually only completed a little over 35% of its orbit since being discovered.
- The number of aircraft destroyed during WWII is greater than the number of aircraft that currently exist in the entire world today.
- The word "facetiously" contains all 5 vowels and "Y" in alphabetical order.
- There are more possible iterations of a game of Chess than there are atoms in the known universe. It's called the Shannon Number.
Facts from Sean McVeigh, factologist.
BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS