- There is a monument called the "Georgia Guidestones" that contain instructions on how to rebuild the world after an apocalypse in 8 different languages. It also serves as a sundial, calendar, and a compass.
- A Duck is called a duck because it ducks its head under the water to feed. The animal was named after the verb and not the other way around.
- An "unpaired word" is a word that, according to the usual rules of the language, would appear to have a related word, but does not. Examples include disgruntled, nonchalant, and ruthless.
- Roundabouts reduce fatalities from accidents by 72-82%. They also lower wait times and save gas.
- Dionne Quan, best known as the voice of Trixie Tang from Fairly Odd Parents and Kimi from Rugrats, is legally blind and all her acting scripts are written in Braille.
- A woman was promised a Toyota after winning a contest but was given a toy Yoda instead. She sued the company and was given the Toyota.
- Light bulbs in the New York City Subway System screw in "backward" (i.e. with left handed threads) so people won't steal them to use at home.
- When you look at a clock and the second hand seems to freeze for a moment, your brain is actually generating a false memory - and your perception of time stretches slightly backward. The effect is called chronostasis.
Facts from Sean McVeigh, factologist.BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS