Rogers IRISH PUB, Rockaway's OLDEST RUNNING BUSINESS - 1919

Rockaway Ol`times
Typography

It was gracefully noticed that in the last few issues of The Rockaway Times, a local business must be “Honored in Rockaway Beach, NY History.”

The Hotel Pierce on Fifth Avenue (now Beach 116th Street), in Rockaway Park was built in late 1912 and opened for the 1913 season in the Rockaways.

The black and white postcard is postmarked on June 2, 1913 and many unwanted items such as the spider web of power lines, the overhead trolley power lines, as well as utility and trolley poles were washed out for photo clarity.  The trolley tracks to Washington/Memorial Circle on the boulevard (lower left) are also gone. The color post card is self-explanatory.

The multi-story beautiful brick building contained 30 rooms, eight baths and private suites with baths, six bowling alley lanes, a large dining room and heat during the winter months.

In 1918, with O. Greissefier as proprietor, the Pierce Hotel sported an orange grove and futurist room (also known as a “character lounger”), cabaret dancing and souvenirs for the ladies.

In May of 1919, the Pierce Hotel was sold to brothers James and Cornelius Rogers, formerly from Kentucky, and renamed “The Rogers Hotel.”

The building has changed its face a few times, but locals have no problem identifying the building and the location.

For the last 98 years and ‘STILL’ in business, many Rockaway Beach residents and visitors have enjoyed making memories and drinking spirits at Rogers Irish Pub.

In two years’ time (2019), Rogers Irish Pub, located on 116th Street, will be celebrating its long waiting and extremely anticipated…

** 100TH ANNIVERSARY **  Make it a Big One!!!

BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS