This is a slight spin on a recipe from cooking magazine/website, Taste of Home.
- *1 package (16 ounces) dried split peas (you could split ½ green, ½ yellow)
- 8 cups of water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 package of ham hocks (or two)
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dry sage
- ½ - 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional - ham is salty)
In the Dutch oven, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 – 2 hours or until peas and vegetables are tender. Remove ham hocks. Let cool; shred; and return to pot. Enjoy with some crusty bread for dipping!
*I like to soak the peas overnight.BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS