Foam tops have become ubiquitous world-wide as families buy them for their kids to learn on, surf schools use them for giving lessons, all the while knowing that if they get hit by the board, hopefully not much harm will result. But these days with the performance level of foamies improving, even veteran surfers are snatching them up at record rates. Then you throw in the fact that Costco sells the WaveStorm brand for $99, now you have a perfect storm of foamies being everywhere. And here’s a little fact for you, the WaveStorm foamie is the most owned surfboard in America, selling over half a million annually.
So in walks Locals Surf School with a great idea, the 1st Annual Foam-Top Frenzy.
This coming Saturday, Locals Surf School will be hosting the 1st Annual Foam-Top Frenzy on Beach 90th St in Rockaway. The event will be supported by RedBull with an after-party at the Rockaway Beach Surf Club.
The premise of the event is “No real Surfboards.” Essentially, anyone with a Foam-Top or alternative craft can enter. Awards will be given for “Best Wave”, “Best wipeout”, and “Best Alternative Craft”. There is already a lot of support for the event and it looks like we will have great weather and waves.
- Registration link: http://www.localssurfschool.com/foamtop-frenzy
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/events/1655299758068948/
- Contest Starts at 10am, contestants are encouraged to get there by 9:30am
- All skill levels
- $5 Entry fee for contestants
- 48 Contestants (All Ages) First come, First Surf
- Open Surf Format
- Spectators welcome and encouraged!
- All welcomed at the after party
- Free entry to after party
- Live Band
- Free RedBull cocktails with cash bar for other drinks