ROCKAWAY AIRPORT 1940-59
The 80-acre airport was opened in May 1940 by Harry Gordon and was located between Beach 47th and Beach 58th Street. Mr. Gordon owned seven small commercial aircrafts. The location was also a licensed flight school. The United States Army ordered all civilian coastline airfields be closed for the duration of WWII. As a result, the military took over the airfield in 1942. In 1946, the airfield reopened as a civilian airport and finally closed in 1959.
Katie Lucev is the daughter of the late Rockaway Beach Historian, Emil R. Lucev, Sr. (1933-2018)