FAR ROCK STATION 1920s
The Rockaway Beach trolley used the track in the station and then ran out across Mott Avenue to its own track towards Hammels Station, with stops at Edgemere and Arverne, and was then switched to the boulevard for points west.
The Far Rockaway trolley ran down Central Avenue to Brookhaven, where a turn led the trolley to Beach 19th Street for the run to the beach. On the way back, the trolley turned on New Haven and ran to Central again for the trip back to the station.
On the left are the layup tracks and the freight yard at Far Rockaway Station.
The station building is at the right with a small newsstand out on the platform, and the freight office is at the center of the photo. The tower at top left is the Russell Sage Memorial Presbyterian Church on Sage Street.
The Rockaway News printing plant is also at right center, and up the line is Teddy’s Restaurant, retail stores, the gas and electric company, and telephone buildings, plus Winkler’s Storage Warehouse and Rug and Carpet Cleaning.
The Far Rockaway Shopping Center occupies the site of the old Far Rockaway LIRR Station (1869 to 1957) at Mott and Central Avenues.
The Far Rockaway and Rockaway Beach trolleys stopped running in 1928.
Katie Lucev is the daughter of the late Rockaway Beach Historian, Emil R. Lucev, Sr. (1933-2018)