I Should Write A Book
Last week, Governor Cuomo announced that he will be releasing a book in October. My first response was, wow I love to write and I have many notes on a few books I would like to write but finding the time to write is difficult. I was impressed that he had the time to write a book while a crisis was going on in our state. Then I said to myself, maybe he wrote the book before the crisis and was waiting for it to be edited and such. Then I found out the title: American Crisis- Leadership Lessons From The Covid-19 Pandemic.
- I do not know how he had the time to write a book during the pandemic. Wasn’t he running the state with the highest amount of cases?
- How can you write a book about leadership when your leadership was not good?
According to the New York Times, 6,200 residents in nursing homes died and many people blame Governor Cuomo for his lack of leadership when he sent positive cases of Covid back into the nursing homes.
Whenever I teach a short story or a novel, we always do an author study. I try to point out to the students that authors write about what they know. They find it so interesting how many common things come up from out study into the work of literature we are reading. Harper Lee was a Southern young woman who was raised by her lawyer father. It was not a stretch that her protagonist Scout was quite similar to Lee. I then tell my students that I would someday like to write a book about a middle class family from Rockaway who loses their family member to cancer and how the family members each deal with it. I tell them I would not write a book about being an Upper East Side socialite. I cannot write that book as I know nothing about that world.
But now Governor Cuomo has given me new inspiration and I am going to write some books about topics I am not too familiar with:
- How to run a marathon. I have always wanted to run a marathon and I ran the Santa Shuffle 5K one year in 35 minutes. I can definitely tell people how to train for a marathon. I’ll even get some tips from my runner friend Lynn Duffy who is an avid runner and has run a half marathon. That seems good enough in Cuomo’s world.
- Weight loss. I know what to do to lose weight. So, even though I have not been practicing those ideas, I can still write a book about it!
- Chemistry. I took the chemistry regents multiple times. No matter how many times that nice teacher from Saint Francis Prep tried to tutor me, I could not get a Regents Diploma. However, now I can write a book about chemistry. I mean we do have the internet now!
Well, let me go, I am going to try to write one of these today. Oh wait, I have errands to run, house chores to do and work for a few hours. Maybe Cuomo can write a book to help me with my time management.