Facts You Probably don’t Need
- During the parade of nations at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games, Greece always enters the stadium first due to its status as the birthplace of the Olympics.
- Adam Sandler’s 2011 movie “Jack and Jill” was nominated for all 10 Razzie Awards and won every single one. Adam Sandler actually won the Razzie for both worst actor and worst actress for that movie.
- With the invention of the pendulum clock in 1656, Christiaan Huygens increased the accuracy of clocks from about 15 minutes a day to around 15 seconds.
- In the world of botany, there is no such thing as vegetables, it is a culinary term. There are no plants actually classified as vegetables.
- A whip makes its cracking noise because the whip’s tip breaks the sound barrier. What you hear is actually a small sonic boom.
- The original voice of Tony the Tiger, Thur Ravenscroft, also sang ‘You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch.’
- Benjamin Franklin left the cities of Philadelphia and Boston $2,000 each in his will, but the full balance couldn’t be drawn for 200 years. In 1990, the cities received a total of $6.5 million.
- Minnie Mouse’s full name is Minerva Mouse.
Facts by Sean McVeigh, factologist.