Back in the day, Rockaway’s Irishtown was growing by leaps and bounds! There were numerous watering holes throughout the famous Seaside/Irishtown section of the Rockaway Peninsula. The original bounds of Old Irishtown were Beach 101st street on the east and Beach 108th street on the west. Those of us who “remember,” know that these boundaries stretched like a rubber band, “Aye”!
Today we see this old photograph of Cooney’s Inn, located on Rockaway Beach Boulevard and Beach 104th Street.
Marked as taken in 1915, this photo looks as if the gang is outside and singing, “Hail Hail…the gangs all...