© All rights reserved. Powered by YOOtheme.

EAT OUT FOR GOOD CAUSE

On Tuesday April 5th, local restaurants will be participating in Eat to Defeat ALS. Pico on Beach 129th Street and Kennedy’s Restaurant in Breezy Point, and Buckley’s Restaurant in Brooklyn have all pledged to donate 10 percent of their proceeds from that day to the ALS One Foundation. ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord.  A local man, John Kelly, has been diagnosed with a motor neuron disease and has been working with ALS One to raise awareness of these crippling diseases. Organizers of the...

Continue reading

A VIEW OF FAR ROCKAWAY

FROM HOG ISLAND IN 1900 Today’s historical view is surrounded by multi-colored seashells of various kinds found along our northeast coast. How many can you identify? Which is the quahog? The periwinkle? The conch? The snail? The scallop? The oyster? Limpet snail and the hermit crab? Our camera is on the outer Hog Island Beach looking across Far Rockaway Bay towards Beach 19th street ferry dock and pavilion, plus the many old hotels that lined Beach 19th Street. A horse-drawn trolley car company ran its line to the beach from the Far Rockaway LIRR Station. The horse-drawn buggies and wagons on...

Continue reading

FAR ROCKAWAY LIRR STATION – 1872

Today’s Ol’ Time view is a reasonable facsimile of what the original LIRR Station at Mott and Central Avenues in Far Rockaway looked like in 1872.   During that year mentioned the LIRR had extended its line westward down the Rockaway Peninsula to Seaside. Far Rockaway Station is on the right, and an infant Far Rockaway Railroad Yard is seen on the left, containing a workers camp. By 1900 the yard and station had grown considerably, as did the Rockaways. In the mid 1900s, the site was a Great Transportation Hub as the NYC Subway System stopped here, and a large Bus Terminal was included along...

Continue reading

The Kuloff Hotel & Casino Opens In 1901

Written by Emil R. Lucev, Sr. & his daughter Katie Lucev The Kuloff Hotel & Casino was opened by the Caffrey Family in 1901, on the shore of Far Rockaway Bay. It was later known as Berry’s Far Rockaway Arms, then The Traymore. In following years it became The Chateau Thierry, and finally a fire wreck in the 1940’s. This card was noted as 1910, but it was mailed in 1912. But by that time Far Rockaway Bay was no more. Sand had been packed up against the bulkhead by the ocean.  

Continue reading



© All rights reserved. 

Back to Top