© All rights reserved. Powered by YOOtheme.

THE LOUNGE AT HOTEL WASHINGTON – 1925

The Hotel Washington was built in 1924/25. It was located on Beach 124th Street and Rockaway Beach Blvd. (It became the Queen Esther in 1967). There were 31 guest rooms to rent and a hall/dining room that sat 250 people. The building still stands today and is owned by Congregation Mercazha, and is used as a boys’ dormitory for a religious school. This postcard traveled from RBNY to Butler County, KY in 1926. Katie Lucev is the daughter of the late Rockaway Beach Historian, Emil R. Lucev, Sr. (1933-2018)

Continue reading

PLAYLAND DEMOLITION JUNE 1987

Thirty-two years ago, it’s quite possible that Mike Fanning (seen in photo) was the smartest man in Rockaway that day. Fanning must have realized that he was saving a part of history. In the background you can see the last remains of the rollercoaster. This shot was from Shore Front Parkway. In the far distance is the Bay Towers apartment complex. It was a very sad time in Rockaway Beach. Katie Lucev is the daughter of the late Rockaway Beach Historian, Emil R. Lucev, Sr. (1933-2018)

Continue reading

Beach 114th Street

A majestic scene of 114th Street beach block. It’s not exactly the same these days, but many of the houses are still there today. This postcard traveled to Jacksonville, Florida.    Katie Lucev is the daughter of the late Rockaway Beach Historian, Emil R. Lucev, Sr. (1933-2018)

Continue reading

ST. MALACHY’S ORPHAN HOUSE – 1910

St. Malachy’s was founded in 1873 in Brooklyn, New York. The orphanage was moved to Rockaway Park in 1895. The homeless children were moved to the Rockaway Park building in 1898. St. Malachy’s was located on Beach 112th Street, and it was still in use until St. John’s Home for Boys opened on 111th Street. The children were moved out of the St. Malachy’s building to St. John’s Home sometime in the early to mid-1940s. The now-closed Stella Maris High School (est. in 1943) sits on the old St. Malachy’s location. Katie Lucev is the daughter of the late Rockaway Beach Historian, Emil R. Lucev,...

Continue reading

CURLEY’S ATLAS HOTEL & BATHS 1905

Curley’s Hotel was originally constructed by John J. Curley in 1876, at Seaside’s beachfront and 102nd Street. In 1900, the hotel was moved to a new location, Beach 116th Street and the beach. Curley’s remained extremely popular well past WWII. This postcard view is from the outside upper deck at the hotel looking towards Far Rockaway. It is rumored that comedian George Carlin mentioned in a comedy routine that his parents conceived him at Curley’s Hotel in Rockaway Beach, NY in August 1936. (?!?!) The hotel was destroyed by fire on March 31, 1968.

Continue reading

F.3 FELIXSTOWE – 1919

The British F.3 Felixstowe Twin Engine Seaplane was developed from the Curtiss Seaplane America by the British seaplane pioneer, Cyril John Porte. In 1914, Curtiss Seaplane America was to be the U.S. entry for the Transatlantic Race until World War 1 began in Europe. The prototype was sold to England and many were ordered here to be built at the Curtiss plant in Buffalo, NY. The seaplanes were shipped to England by boat. Later, the British F5L Seaplane development led to the American version, the F5L in the summer of 1918. This American version was to have transatlantic flying capabilities....

Continue reading

LOYARD APARTMENTS 1939

The Loyard Apartment buildings, as they were once known, are located between Beach 121st  and Beach 122nd  Street, directly up against the boardwalk. This postcard, looking east, traveled from Far Rockaway to Kent, Washington State on a one-cent stamp. The building looks much the same today. Jokingly, the sender’s message to his brother is, “Wish you were here, not really, he he!”   Katie Lucev is the daughter of the late Rockaway Beach historian, Emil R. Lucev Sr. (1933-2018).  

Continue reading

BOARDWALK 116TH STREET – 1930

In the past and present, Beach 116th Street always attracted a big crowd. The design and layout remained the same for decades. This photo postcard is naturally dark. I’m taking a guess that the weather for that day was slightly overcast, considering the fully-dressed attire on the folks walking along the boardwalk, as bathing suits were beginning to show more skin.    Katie Lucev is the daughter of the late Rockaway Beach historian, Emil R. Lucev Sr. (1933-2018).

Continue reading

QUEENS BEACH HOTEL – 1925

The Queens Beach Hotel was built around 1920 and was owned by the Reilly Bros. It was located on Beach 107th Street and the north side of Rockaway Beach Blvd. The telephone number was “Belle Harbor – 1499.” The hotel featured furnished rooms to rent all year round, a restaurant and a dance hall with an orchestra during the summer months only.    Katie Lucev is the daughter of the late Rockaway Beach historian, Emil R. Lucev Sr. (1933-2018).

Continue reading



© All rights reserved. 

Back to Top